RE: Esrolite Newtling Art

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_Yr7xTlZafduITkAUzQ5Tk_rXH0hJNk4_txZnTQGEnKPzjr7bbvxY2ifRELDzottNPwd0M>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:29:07 -0800

> > > I see there's a bird-headed figure over to the left, with
> > his back to
> > > events. He hasn't noticed the Newtling, and it seems to be making a
> > > rude gesture behind his back.
> >
> > Probably a duck.
>
> Very odd-shaped beak, then. No, I think this is some Solar type. And the
> gesture means "you're not eating *my* tail!"

I dispute my learned collegue's identification of this artwork as being of Esrolian origin - the inclusion of a traditional Rinliddi altar in the center of the picture, the "Sacred mountain" motif above the Bird-like figure, the wrappings of the Newt-Mother figure, and the inclusion of the Many-fronded reeds of Birin Marsh, not to mention obvious representation of a Birin Spotted Frog in the reeds, all point to a Lower Arcos Valley origin.

The bird is a Falcon, so probably a representation of Vaskaru the Falcon Warrior from Rinliddi (note how it's holding a traditioinal Rinliddi frog-gig). The newt is female, so the gesture is most likely a curse being put on Vaskaru by the Newt-Mother. This may be a representation of "Vasakaru loses his wings" - the event whereby avilry became a pure land-borne force, rather than the sky-warriors they once were.

As newtlings are not known to inhabit the marshes of Peloria, this is evidence of a previously unknown Newtling settlement in the Birin Marshes. It makes clear the veiled references to newtlings in such epics as "Serchomanas versus the Frog-Queen" and "Nreedep went a'courting".

RR
C'est par mon ordre et pour le bien de l'Etat que le porteur du présent a fait ce qu'il a fait.
- Richelieu