Re: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Digest Number 379

From: Martin Crim <martincrim_at_ZCMQEtVV6wRvNihDraVPMomNGI3YjioZzX5twhzBTtdJH38swvVu6LzvM0mRc6cCb>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:55:53 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Nick Brooke wrote:
>Wrong: I had Greg's agreement to credit me in writing, both times. It
>just didn't seem to matter to him that he'd given that agreement.

>The FPP is a step backward. I am not giving Greg/Issaries any "Concept
>Use Statement" in respect of my work, as this would reward their past
>transgressions and open the way to future rippings-off.

>Cheers, Nick

And this is where you're missing the boat, Nick. Greg is just breaking promises because he cannot keep a promise, he lies because he has always lied, and he's doing it because it's his nature. Here's why: He's a Trickster. It's all perfectly clear, and Greg has said he's a Trickster in public. Tricksters are not nice people, and if he was in your clan you would beat him regularly and with glee. When Greg said he was a Trickster, the only rational response would have been to flee while you had the chance. Thinking that anything you do would "reward their past transgressions [or] open the way to future rippings-off" means you think you have any influence on Greg's behavior, and none of us do. He would have to be rational for your behavior to have any effect.

Consider: When Chaosium made a deal with Avalon Hill, the granddaddy of gaming, it went out of business. When Issaries (or was it Chaosium) made a deal with Stratilibris, a respected miniatures firm, it went out of business. Coincidence? Or the baleful influence of the Trickster?

Everyone I know and respect is completely disillusioned about doing business with Greg, some to the point where they won't even play his games any more. Me, I'm just watching the train wreck with horrified attention. (I just hope this post is Immoderate enough for ImmoderateHeroQuest.)

--Martin