Re: Why...

From: Rick Meints <rjmeints_at_C3DS1jC9G8avwTMgjIX96AKKk9h0y0kezYLljVVh0sOt6-_t-UzGw_wJEQxHGAmsLKU>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:03:47 -0000

John,

I can see where you and Nick are coming from with your concerns. What this really all seems to boil down to is:

  1. whether Issaries has learned from its mistakes and will become much better at crediting people.
  2. Whether Issaries has the capacity, desire, and skills to work with authors to make the approval process relatively quick, painless, and successful.

It is safe to say that Issaries has felt the lumps from past problems. They take a direct economic hit from inefficiency.

As to whether the drought of publications is solely the fault of the "looming" publication policy is not easily provable. There have been similar or even larger droughts of published material in the past. We all take breaks from getting things done, myself included.

The only ways forward that I see for each of us are to either make the best of the situation and start with a clean slate, walk away and retire, or fight back.

I have repeatedly stressed to Issaries that the only way this policy is going to work is if Issaries does everything that it needs to to hold up its obligations under the policy. So far, the only proof I have of them doing that is the streamlined web license process they are undertaking. Issaries is trying to get websites licensed quickly and painlessly. So far, I haven't seen that approach fail yet, but I have seen it succeed. Other types of publishing efforts via the new policy will only have their success or failure known as they work their way through the process.

One thing I am convinced of thus far: Greg does not want to hold up other people's efforts to publish, provided that they go through the process laid out in the policy. I have helped Issaries create an official FAQ that will be out very soon, and it is loaded with numerous explanations that support their desire to let people get on with writing. Granted, the process is not as simple as it was before, but such is life.

Rick