Re: Why...

From: julianlord <jlord_at_5RuDHnnLYizuw0ePwHEaPVNWXsZhpSY4526HUBTVRaSnV6cSy4sFw1WgzdFKzJGGjYG1.y>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 19:23:48 -0000

John :

> My concern is that, given that the administrative pressures are
> likely to **increase** under the new Fan Policy,

Yes, I think it's a completely lunatic plan. And frankly, I personally have far better things to do with my time than to engage in all this vile administration. This hobby is supposed to be *fun*.

> I believe you can protect your own rights in a way that doesn't
> have to tread completely over the rights of your supporters.
> But this present policy isn't it.

Exactly.

> I've seen little analysis or discussion about the implications of
the new
> policy for Glorantha as a whole. How much does Issaries depend on
fan
> publications to bolster the community and maintain interest? What
will be
> the effect of potential authors having to sign away their rights
to their
> own work before submitting even to a fan magazine?

Spot on. These are the real questions, not any of that legalese bullshit ...

> You're being asked to sign away all your rights upfront.

As the editor of a Glorantha fanzine, I am expected to sign away all my _contributors' rights_ upfront. Given that I do not own those rights, this is an impossible expectation to fulfil, even if I felt that it were morally acceptable to just rip off all their hard work and send it to Greg (for free). Which I don't.

On a tangent, I'm a Microsoft Beta Tester, and this fan policy we're all supposed to agree with is just laughably heavy-handed compared to the measures M$ have come up with (effective ones) to protect their copyrights. The II fan policy strikes me as being completely fucking paranoid, but maybe Greg just chose an idiot, incompetent lawyer (hoping not to offend the lawyer if he or she is a list member, but if so well tough shit).

cheers,

Julian