Re: Why...

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_pf28xUlCjWanB5LJX_a1ASMmKXZiWih6s29A5lvxA8vRCgWF0ZiVIUh8uR5NxzkofFNL>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 21:07:51 -0000

> Nonsense, the policy specifically states that anything I wanted to
> publish should be first presented as a submission to Issaries.
This has
> nothing to do with "concept use", which is a separate issue.

And Issaries can make an offer to publish the material itself. But under the Policy it needs to contributor's approval before it can publish the material. That is not the same as saying you are expected to sign away all your rights upfront. You can simply refuse the proferred terms and your text will not be published.

As a fanzine publisher, if you are going to present fan material to be published, that is going to be done pursuant to the terms of your license. And your contributors need to be onboard with that. But again this is not the same things as saying they need to sign away their rights upfront.

> Anyway, I cannot publish a Gloranthan fanzine in France in these
> circumstances without breaking the law, either French or US, so
there
> you go. I won't bore you with the details.

I admit that I am without any knowledge of French intellectual property law. However, taking the French legal code aside for the moment, how could publishing a Gloranthan fanzine under those circumstances break US law? I doubt I'd be "bored with the details."

Jeff