Re: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Re: Why...

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_NiQlR1iQL3Igciu5iZxBXkyW7P9glDLvhcfUQvYEaxADaTA3XDOrj7XGyfVlbwlFY5a3jrs>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 22:16:12 +0100

Jeff writes:

> "Concept use" as defined in the Policy is simply that folk -
> specifically Issaries - can use the names of persons, places,
> creatures, entities, events, objects, or concepts from any original
> material, Gloranthan development or publication, without need for
> further credit or payment.

... regardless of whether Issaries, Inc. or Greg Stafford *originally* agreed to give their creator any credit in return for the work they put into creating those original Gloranthan "names, places and concepts" for them.

Check out the "Complete Agreement" clause in the (default) website licensing agreement while you're about it. I find myself in complete disagreement with it. Which would be ironic, I suppose...

> Let's say you come up with a character named Stampy McGee (scourge
> of the Timinits) and write tons of stories about the adventures of
> Stampy. You post these stories to the Digest, or Oliver's website,
> or they get published in Tradetalk, or whatever, and lots of folks
> Glorantha have Stampy McGee wandering about Jrustela. Under the
> Concept Use statement, Issaries can include Stampy McGee as a person
> when they come out with Men of the Sea III: Defeat of the Ant
> People, and include references to some of the events mentioned in
> these stories.

Or, to come up with a completely implausible example, let's say Greg asks you to do some 'foundational' work developing a part of Glorantha, in exchange for a credit when it's used. So you create original material about Carmanian viziers and hazars and shahs and padishahs and sirdars, about the dualist religion of the College of Magi, the Black and White Laws, and name all of the Founders and Lion Shahs and Bull Shahs...

Under the Concept Use statement, Issaries can now include all of that material when they come out with "ILH-1: The Lunar Empire", and *not* give you any fucking credit at all, *and* you agreed to that and have nothing to complain about. (Because you were *forced* to agree to the vile, evil "'Concept Use' Statement" and "Complete Agreement" clause in order to keep your own personal website on the air, and *that* allows them to bin any prior agreements relating to any of your material).

Fucking arses.

Cheers, Nick