Re: Why...

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_U9dXsPoSovh2Xt0SlCNA-PcxdDgfyt5fbHYkhsQnad8R4Xs1s9twceBVO1mczt6mBjuV7HB>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 21:19:49 -0000

Jeff wrote:

>> Nonsense, the policy specifically states that anything I wanted >> to publish should be first presented as a submission to Issaries.

> And Issaries can make an offer to publish the material itself. But
> under the Policy it needs to contributor's approval before it can
> publish the material.

And if they want to publish itself (with whatever changes they want to make), and don't get that approval, they can veto publication.

> But again this is not the same things as saying they need to sign
> away their rights upfront.

Although if Issaries, Inc. subsequently published something verrry verrry similar (same names, places and concepts), they wouldn't have anything to complain about, would they?

> I admit that I am without any knowledge of French intellectual
> property law. However, taking the French legal code aside for the
> moment, how could publishing a Gloranthan fanzine under those
> circumstances break US law?

Any breach of French law would *probably* be the attempt to surrender your moral right to attribution, which can't be done under the Berne Convention. The 'breach of US law' would come from *not* doing so, as this is required by the unjust and onerous Issaries, Inc. policy.

But Julian may have been thinking of some other nasty wrinkle -- there are certainly plenty to choose from.

Regards, Nick