RE: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Digest Number 385

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_DLdCsgfbqqPrpeueOEXAmWQkkTyna-mgEQR6ni5xTFCGVl9LFt6g7NG_p0jM5>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 20:15:51 +0100

> >So, wait: Jeff owes you because he contributed his time,
> for free, in
> >playtesting products before they came out? Do Microsoft's
> beta testers
> >also owe you?
> >How people who enroll in clinical trials of new drugs?
>
> He owe's me sod all. But him and his friends have been in
> prime position to produce something worthwhile for years.
> They have not done so, which is fine, obviously they have a
> reason?

At a blind guess, because they don't have an infinite amount of free time?

> Issaries has said in the past that they will not produce
> detailed clan / tribe information, yet we see it scattered
> through products. For example Dragon Pass has Culbrea,
> Cinsina and Greydog material culled from fan material, has
> any editing been done on it
> to provide any coherent background? I doubt it, it is merely
> page filler.

It looks pretty coherent to me, if only because the original writers took care to make it so. And as far as I'm concerned, it's more than page filler.

> I think he is going through some of crisis something
> like he did during his divorce where he relies on some else
> providing his pocket money, while he gets his jollies
> somewhere else. In the recent past it's been teaching Mexican
> kids and digging in holes, now he is off writing Pendragon products.

As far as I know the teaching and Pendragon are a means of earning money? I suspect that, like the rest of us, he finds it useful to eat from time to time. And writing Gloranthan stuff isn't going to help much with that.

> Meanwhile Glorantha flounders.

Hmmm. Well, it has to be said that having "fan" productions (you know, the stuff that's generally higher quality content than Issaries, better produced than Issaries, in less conflict with existing material than Issaries, with the exception of where Issaries has had the good sense to take "fan" material and simply print it) stifled for a year hasn't helped. But I wouldn't say it's floundering. Yet.