RE: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Re: Digest Number 385

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_DhmtHpj6hc8fwabR1is02LLfj0ZAAWfkoOh7OKSWCRifO5qN-Svu3mcaGilp5>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 21:08:41 +0100

> > At a blind guess, because they don't have an infinite amount of
> free time?
>
> Let's see, our little gaming group has produced - David
> Dunham's King of Dragon Pass computer game, Enclosure I & II,
> the Fall of the House of Malan LARP (which has been run at
> least four times at cons on three continents), and the
> Victoria Con. Is that enough production for you?

That's a sub-infinite amount of free time, but still huge by any reasonable standards. And that's at least one item (KoDP) that has become definitive to Glorantha, plus two that have had huge influence (I can't comment on "Malan", never having played it).

> >.. with the exception of where Issaries has had the good
> sense to take "fan" material and simply print it)

> Jane - I'd say Thunder Rebels, Storm Tribe and the Dragon
> Pass Gazetteer is amongst the best quality Gloranthan
> material that's ever been out there.

Notice my caveat. Now look at things like Thunder Rising, where the GOOD scenarios, the ones that make you go "wow"!, are the ones that were produced by fans, made available by fans on their web sites, and simply printed by Issaries.

> As for whether material
> conflicts with previous material, that has never bothered me
> much - Glorantha should be internally inconsistent.

Unless its in ways that are so major that they make a product either impossible or very difficult to integrate into an existing campaign - or even worse, make areas in a *new* campaign impossible to use.

I'm thinking in particular of the carelessness of the Bat at WW date (yes, now corrected in errata but they still get it wrong in new works!) and on a much larger scale, dropping the entire Fimbulwinter into a Glorantha that had previously not noticed such an event. And without explaining how campaigns set anywhere other than clan-based Sartar were supposed to handle it. Yes, it would affect Prax. How? What are existing campaigns supposed to do about it?

Oh, and the Kheldon Movement silliness, that even they seem to be quietly ignoring in later books (Kallyr and followers have perfectly good Movement affinities).

No doubt there are other clashes that fall outside my areas of interest, but that's quite bad enough. Most fan-produced works don't make that sort of mistake.