RE: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Re: Digest Number 385

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_ppckHUcR5wxS3Cunp5OTvx61V3--Vv9F6zi7BAAL343HVY6W_QeLhCvzyHkeZ>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 22:16:53 +0100

> I'm not a huge scenario fan and very rarely use them. Only
> ones I am likely to use are from Orlanth is Dead (Iceland)
> and Gathering Thunder (the Boat Rising).

Neither of which IMO are scenarios at all. Great background, but the narrator has to do most of the scenario-writing work. Iceland is the better of the two in that respect, I'd say.

> > I'm thinking in particular of the carelessness of the Bat at WW
> date
> > (yes, now corrected in errata but they still get it wrong in new
> works!)
>
> Although frustrating (because we did the WW stuff), it isn't that
> big of a deal.

It can be when character backstory depends on it, but then it's just getting mentioned in new works, not "used", so it isn't too bad. We can just ignore the wrong date.

> Should have been caught in editing, but then again,
> I see books with screwed up dates as well.

True. I just mention it as an example of the sort of carelessness that Issaries do and that fan works are usually better at avoiding.

> Personally, I really like the Fimbulwinter and thought it was an
> improvement on CHDP.

So did I, I think the whole "killing Orlanth" arc is a wonderful step up from the rather prosaic things that went before. But it *was* incompatible.

> My advice is just work into your non-Sartar campaigns however you
want.

Which is extremely difficult. And the work should have been done by the people introducing the incompatibility, NOT left to the fan base. Not all GMs are as inventive as you, and I suspect you're underestimating how hard most people find it.

Hang on, I'm forgetting which list I'm on. Am I allowed to compliment someone here? Oops!
(hard thinking in progress, this ain't easy....) Jeff, you're an inconsiderate arsehole who just demonstrates your supposed superiority at making sense of Issaries nonsense so as to make the rest of us feel inferior.
(Whew! Am I allowed to carry on now without being Immoderated? Or did I have to get my spelling and grammar wrong, too?)