RE: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] An Issariues 'All"?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_T2ww90IfSQWmDaDLiZKpzut0RQJ8e6ZjJG7wSVOOx81Zt4sh5LgQzwNB_5pyG>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 22:47:18 +0100

> For Licencees of course, they have to first obtain such
> rights from contributors before they can give them to
> Issaries. Which given, UK European and Australian law, is (in
> my understanding as an editor) probably not possible.

I asked Greg if I was allowed to tell you all the wording of my licence, and he said
"Yes, of course you can, although I would prefer you refer the people to me."

And one reason for the preference for referal is that he's got a nice new licence for you.

"I have a different Agreement for people to sign too, that makes it more friendly and legal in Europe."

I then asked in what way the one I've signed is illegal in Europe, that being where I live. Silence.

Anyway, a quick ctrl-A ctrl-C ctrl-V later, here's what I signed.

Website License Agreement
This license agreement is entered into as of ______________________ by
Issaries, Inc. (Issaries) and _________________ (Licensor).  It relates
to the use of Proprietary Material (as defined in the Issaries, Inc. Fan Material Policy (including all amendments, attachments and exhibits thereto), which is incorporated by reference into this agreement) owned by Issaries on any and all websites of the Licensor.

In consideration of the mutual promises and covenants contained in this agreement, the parties agrees as follows:

  1. Grant of License. Issaries grants Licensor a nonexclusive, nontransferable license to use that Proprietary Material on the Licensor's websites at the time of acceptance of this agreement by the Licensor. Any additional usage of Proprietary Material by the Licensor after acceptance of this License, including material derived from or incorporating Proprietary Material, must be with the express, written approval of Issaries.
  2. Ownership of Proprietary Material. Issaries owns all right, title, and interest in and to the Proprietary Material, and to any material derived from or incorporating the Proprietary Material. The Proprietary Material is protected by United States and international copyright laws.
  3. Termination. Issaries reserves the right to terminate this license at any time, with or without cause. Upon termination, Licensor will remove all Proprietary Material from all Licensor's websites.
  4. Indemnification. Licensor agrees to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Issaries, Inc., Greg Stafford, and their employees, contractees, agents, and licensees from any and all claims arising from Licensor's use of any copyrights, trademarks, or other intellectual property not owned by Issaries, Inc.
  5. Complete Agreement. This agreement and the Issaries, Inc. Fan Material Policy constitutes the entire agreement and understanding of the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersedes all prior and contemporaneous communications, agreements, and understandings, both oral and written, regarding the same subject matter.
  6. Choice of Laws and Forum. This agreement shall be construed in accordance with, and its performance shall be governed by, the laws of the State of California without giving effect to any conflict of laws provisions. Headings are provided for convenience only. Any suit, action, or proceeding arising out of or relating to this Agreement shall be decided in Alameda County, California. Issaries and Licensor accept the venue and jurisdiction of the Federal District Court of Northern California, Oakland, or the Alameda County Superior Courts.
  7. Modification. This agreement may be amended or modified only in writing and only with the signature of a duly authorized representative of each party.

Licensor

Issaries, Inc