Re: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Re: Hamsters

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_zRkajWQMwCtiE8RJHpEAaYZAoWyKP9xWZb5sWtzrdtGfG5zzPVVJh5wV7onEgbTkbrJm>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 06:37:04 -0500

Jeff Richard wrote:

> When in doubt, check out whether someone uses "-ize" or "-ise". We
> Americans value the letter "z" (for all letters are capable of a
> contribution to our great enterprise - one must merely give them the
> opportunity) and use it for words like "organize", "utilize" and so
> on. We also tend to refrain from a gratuitous use of the letter "u"
> in words like "armor", "color", and what not (the letter "u" gets
> sufficient use already).

If you're talking to them, ask them what the last letter of the alphabet is. If they're Murcan, they'll pronounce it "zee", as God intended. If they're from any other English speaking country*, they'll probably say "zed", God knows why. If anybody other than God knows why, maybe you can edumacate us poor Murcans.

Guy (Hoyle)
*Not sure how Canadians pronounce it, but I'm betting it's "zed".

--

"I installed a spam filter on my computer, but so far all it's catching is unwanted email."