Re: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Re: Hamsters

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_U8S3ikN4oO_wMhi1tzCvxnTM1DGZuOCN9TJqXpDkqY78L7z4dKXIbkMaWZjSO>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 12:46:59 +0100 (BST)

> If you're talking to them, ask them what the last
> letter of the alphabet
> is. If they're Murcan, they'll pronounce it "zee",
> as God intended.

If that's your rationale for language, no wonder you're confused!

> If
> they're from any other English speaking country*,
> they'll probably say
> "zed", God knows why. If anybody other than God
> knows why, maybe you can edumacate us poor Murcans.

Because there is a difference between the sound a letter makes, and its name. The letter "zed" makes the sound "zee". (Or more likely, "zeh", in most cases I can think of.)

Just as the letter "ay" makes the sound "ah". And so on. Using the sound instead of the name is usually confined to very small children, those who also refer to a dog as a "woof".

I have vague memories from nursery school of one of those chants that teaches them all. It won't work when written down, but...

Ay says "ah", "ah" for "apple"
Bee says "bu", "bu" for.... and so on.

Jane Williams