RE: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Re: Hamsters

From: Mike Gibb <migibb_at_cpDP_j7gTPxscGvFQjcNO-4-X94hSzKbZ81d_fRN7588ss3zhAilLR70J3WTcFxARsuHh>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:58:52 +0000

>I really don't think we need any instruction on pronounciation of
>words from a people who think "Reading" is
>pronounced "redding", "Worchester" is pronounced "wooster",
>and "Leicester" is pronounced "lester".
>
>Jeff

Just goes to show - not only is it where the history and pronounciation come from but Europe gives the world correct spelling as well... It's Worcester (no "h").

If you think those are bad how would you pronounce Friockheim, Milngavie or Herstmonceaux?*

And dont get me started on the Aussies - a friend picked up an Oztralian hitch-hiker looking to get to Loughborough,

"Where are you going?"

"I'm trying to get to Looga-barooga..."

mike
8-)

   xxx

PS - speaking as a straight, white male - would Mr Boatright please shove his (ignorant and un-funny) homophobia where the sun don't shine and go bother someone else?

*("Freek-um", "Mull-guy" and "Her-man-us" respectively I am led to believe - although I can't swear about the last one)