Re: Hamsters

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_BtwNNynJElGBQxocmegaTG0_1a6umsEaMzW6PQau7mpCco1P7Z4WAxzvG-m8nw7jwQ31>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 18:06:19 -0000

> >I really don't think we need any instruction on pronounciation of
> >words from a people who think "Reading" is
> >pronounced "redding", "Worchester" is pronounced "wooster",
> >and "Leicester" is pronounced "lester".
> Just goes to show - not only is it where the history and
pronounciation come
> from but Europe gives the world correct spelling as well... It's
Worcester
> (no "h").

Oops. I actually knew that but made the mistake of posting prior to coffee. My bad.

> If you think those are bad how would you pronounce Friockheim,
Milngavie or
> Herstmonceaux?*

I would try not to. Then again, I live near places named Puyallup, Sequim, Snoqualmie, and Duwamish. People from abroad find those names oddly difficult.:)

At least I'm not in Portland or I'd have to deal with the hamlet of Wanker's Corner.

Jeff