RE: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Re: Hamsters

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_2wNcRg7EmiFI7bnI2aEYtZu9HsBO-TUUKxONv-iX6inPMmkOFp3oKYK-qNYRX>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:03:12 +0100

> Looga-barooga sounds like a much better place to go to than
> Loughborough. I'm sure he was disappointed when he arrived.

No matter what he called it, poor chap. Though I'm having a hard time figuring out how he'd get one from the other.

Of course, the really fun bit is hearing English radio announcers making a mess of Welsh place names. They could check them in advance. But do they?

Llanelli pronounced like "flannely" but without the F has got to be my favourite.

(thlan-Ethlee would be closer).

And one of my stopping points in Snowdonia: Betws-y-coed, coming out as Betsy Co-Ed.

(Bet-Us-Ye-Coid - meaning of course "Prayer house in the woods")

Here, have a link, for no particular reason than because it's there. http://www.betws-y-coed.com/