Re: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Amerikan Speeling

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_KYfe24VoMfVOYHPOIYt2heQ_c6GwS3hC5S3lDuRH7BmtMFy8LLY4jOhW3qtWiuzFuK->
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:19:45 +1200

John Hughes wrote:

>So every time I see 'color', 'lite', 'armor' or gasp, 'organize' I think of
>Stalin. (And reach for my Oxford).

The original phrase was from Herman Goering. Stalin's most famous quip was about Pope and Divisions.

>It defined 'Democrat' as a "a person who attempts an undue
>opposition or influence over government by means of private clubs, secret
>intrigues, or by public popular meetings which are extraneous to the
>Constitution". A Republican, by contrast, was a "[friend] of our
>representative Governments."

Sounds like a rewrite of what Dr Johnson actually did in his dictionary. Tory was "one who adheres to the ancient constitution of the state and the apostolical hierarchy of the Church of England" while Whig was "a faction".

Furthermore your post is anachronistic in the names of the parties. The Federalists would have been one of the parties attacked in Webster's day.

>Webster went on to produced a censored version of the Bible, where, among
>other things, testicles became 'peculiar members' and female genitalia and
>womby-bits were expunged completely.

How did he treat Ezekial 23:20*?

>(Practicing his Boatwrong ranting, but am hampered by a rudimentary
>knowledge of spelling and grammar, and more generally by being Oztralian.

Don't worry. Australia is still in the record books as the only successful penal experiment.

--Peter Metcalfe

*"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emissions was like that of horses."