Re: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Re: Hamsters

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_Xy_GvG6G3uN6Mzm7mKYJfRy-eYoViUaUPxwitMoBwPgDTqRGIEEwh4h3BxnkSxpefOS>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:46:35 -0700

Peter Metcalfe wrote:
> At 01:11 PM 4/7/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>
>>Further evidence for that pronunciation is the English insult "berk"
>>(pronounced that way), which is, naturally, short for "Berkshire hunt",
>>which is Cockney rhyming slang for "obnoxious person".

> The actual rhyme is "Berkeley Hunt"...

Some quick googling turns up about roughly twice as many supporting "Berkshire" as "Berkeley", with a small population insisting it's short for "Berkhamptstead". Failing any authoritative source, I think we'll have to settle for "origin is disputed".

 > ..."Stupid Cunt".

Hm. I *thought* 'obnoxious person' wasn't a very good rhyme for 'berkshire hunt'...