Re: Why

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_fUrYnMvSpcXaeRXY-t7WRoZYiP8g9pjJwL1QpSMtBhmouEOP8zxpl32x7Cl5LTelO04G>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:09:17 -0000

> Bollocks. M$ has both patents and copyrights, and their copyrights
are
> well protected by ordinary usage practices. As Nick hinted at some
weeks
> back, using a RPG is a lot like using a software package. M$ does
not
> have any claim to the ownership of any computer systems created
using
> the Windows operating systems...

Julian - Microsoft does not claim the ownership of any computer systems using the Windows operating system because that would certainly violate US antitrust law and potentially lead to the dismantling of Microsoft. Antitrust issues are a much bigger legal problem for Microsoft than routine IP claims.

However, if you look at Microsoft's licensing agreements, they are much more rigorous than Issaries licensing agreements (and don't say they aren't because I've written some for Microsoft) - heck, just read the shrinkwrap agreement on a copy of a game like Age of Mythology.

Jeff