Re: Doug McClure

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_Qkw-fJjYaw40lcXB2As7eHUMNas0JQQ4GBpruvmgJ6ldJSKtpfMWtSP3JpfrM>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:50:02 -0000

As a public service announcement, I must note to Region 2/regionless DVD fans of Doug that "The Doug McClure Fantasy Adventure Triple Bill" is currently in the HMV sale (reduced from £29.99 to £19.99) and is also reduced to a similar price on amazon.co.uk.

It contains "The Land That Time Forgot" (1975; U-boat vs Dinosaurs 1W4), "Warlords of Atlantis" (1978; Coolest 'Warriors Rise From Waters Scene Evar' 1W4) and "At the Earth's Core" (1976; Caroline Munro 1W8). The extras are sparse, though better than many attempts at resurrecting the Hammer/Amicus lines, but the transfers are adequate.

Well worth it, methinks. It doesn't include the third part of Amicus' ERB trio, "The People That Time Forgot", over "Warlords..."; but the latter is to my knowledge better known, has Doug in a full role, is more commonly shown on Brit TV and is probably a better film [objective analysis of Doug McClure films is tricky].

[Mind you, "The People..." is a fun film. With a stolid Patrick Wayne (Duke Jr) and mad volcano-worshipping samurai cast-offs (including an excellent High Priest), you can't really complain]

Cheerio,

Stu.