A 'Serious' Announcement

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_0QpCCmRz-IuaS6RlbHsBV06jnkFP7uziA79PQe9CPEJT3KW1iA7ldtoHl2voZ>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:25:24 -0000

Hi Guys,

This is semi-serious, so yeah, yeah, get on with the jibes, I can take it.

But when you've finished...

A friend of mine is running a Renaissance-era play-by-e-mail game. Players portray a 'state' (early modern shudder) or prominent family in Christendom, through a mix of role-playing and simple strategic mechanics. We've been playing a little over a year.

The game runs in five-year turns: the first was 1480-1484; the most recent 1500-1504. Each turn a player has so many sentences to dictate what they do in matters of war, intrigue, diplomacy, exploration, etc. and can regulate their finances. And they can do as much role-playing as they wish.

Events have not departed especially wildly from history (no Aztec galleons invading Kent), though changes have occurred, e.g. no Tudor succession.

We have players for England, Scotland, France, a secessionist Sweden, Portugal, the Jagiellons, the Habsburgs, the Hohenzollerns, Venice and Muscovy. New players are about to replace fallen comrades in Denmark and Hungary.

Currently, we're missing the biggie: Castile & Aragon, and also have room for a resurgent Naples, and other Italian or German states (e.g. Saxony, the Wittelsbachs, Wuerttemberg) as people wish. Even playing pissant states is welcome (I did...). Bohemia might be an excellent option, though currently a Habsburg is nominally king.

If you're interested, please give me a private mail. You're all jerks, but I get the idea some of you might be creative jerks with an interest in something like this. Though there are no conquistador ducks.

Cheerio,

Stu.