Re: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Re: Putting the 'Anal' into Analogies

From: Goihl & Fahey <goihlk_at_NQsXt-8tUyN_zM5OynBo_U33uq0QW4mNv8alz0J6xsEZTsGhdklDGKOY6m5I5ePk3XlMM>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:41:23 +0100

> Hardly. Everyone knows about the Romans from school,
> and from TV, films, etc.

Which all portray them incorrectly and differently from one another. Hardly useful for analogy to give examples which everyone sees differently. Now, if you were to specify "the Romans" as known to your game group thru a particular film they'd all seen, that'd be useful. Say, "We're imagining the Romans as those in Life of Brian". But if you're going to go by most people knowing so much thru film and tv then maybe stick with an example everyone does indeed know, like Baywatch (actually watched two episodes) or some other popular drivel.

> Ancient Persians? Nothing.
> School doesn't touch it, a couple of historical films
> have them as "the enemy".

Your school may actually not have, but even for those which did there is very little on anything, including romans. But you are apparently assuming "all" people are English, with this "everyone knows" and all that. Ask that guy who calls himself Terra Incognita what he knows well. Bet his knowledge of history has quite different emphases than any of ours. I think my Brother got more about ancient Mexico and areas south than about romans.

>I probably know more about
>the ancient Persians than any of my immediate friends
>and I wouldn't know enough to play a Persian PC.

According to that I never played anyone in Glorantha then, as when I started there was almost no info, and then only more bits at a time for years.

Daniel