Re: Trollball in 15mm - Mr. Suitcase's showoff update with a little gloating...

From: Rick Meints <rjmeints_at_vHiTY9JFFByVlk2yI0LcGmB68QYBm0qIpLIbjofEsJoxVME26jner1obH3oeFjjn6Eh>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 17:05:03 -0000

As the lucky purchaser of the Trollball set from you on Ebay, I'm just happy that you were willing to sell it. As far as my watchful eye knows, one of these "sets" has never come up for sale before. The manufacturer is probably Martian Metals. I've spoken with Greg Stafford about the set and that is what he recollects as well. Martian Metals did all of their Runequest minis with Hex bases, just like the larger minis in this set. Martian Metals had the Runequest minis license in 1982 (they started making RQ minis around 1979). The look of trolls in the set is William Church inspired. I suppose it's possible that he sculpted them, although Paul Jaquays, who did much of the MM RQ line, is more likely. The set was created to be used with the Trollball game rules and map first published in 1979 in Wyrm's Footnotes 7 and reprinted in RQ2 trollpak.

I can't be sure of how big the "trollball" range of minis was meant to be. A team is made up of seven players. The two teams in the set each have seven players. There are also the two referees, and the priestess as well. There's also the trollkin trollball. Thus, the set I purchased is complete as is, but they may have made other teams of minis, or other variants. Paul Jaquays didn't mention the set when i spoke with him, but he admitted he hadn't thought much about the minis for over 20 years. I'll have to ask around a bit more. Greg says he has a set somewhere. Perhaps we can compare his set's contents to mine.

Hope that helps, ya idiots.
Rick