RE: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Re: Putting the 'Anal' into Analogies

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_2pFqRDhupGBuNu-iCYxs5mPVIPX0f34b0V0rw_CPwUjPiz221HWUWSX8d9lKY>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 17:26:37 -0000

> There also was the Gallic Empire in which the Gaul and the British
> were under the rule of Rebel Emperors until Rome asserted its
> authority.

Ah, the fun bits of British history. And to think they call them the "Dark Ages".

> Also the real reason why the Romans left Britian was
> that Britian had their own rebel Emperor again who suddenly had
> the bright idea that having three legions, he could become Emperor
> over the whole western Roman Empire. He marched into Gaul
> with his legions and went down in flames.

Sartar tries to take Tarsh...

> It was in the aftermath of this failed expedition that the
> British sent
> a message to Emperor Honorius in Ravenna asking for legions for
> defence and understandably got a Please Fuck Off letter in
> response.

If we're thinking of the same letter - wasn't that the one to "Aetius, consul for the fourth time", that gives terrible trouble in dating? And whinges about how they've got floods coming from one direction and barbarians invading from the other, so they have the choice of being killed or drowned?

"Dear Lunars. Please come back and remove Harrek."

"And who invited him in, then?"

(happy sigh) Last time I looked into that lot was just before I got hold of KoS. Parallels everywhere, with all near-period documents having been written by very biased and ignorant people being only one of them.

I'm going to have to get back to it. I need to find out more about Vortigern's descendants, and if that works out, his ancestry.