Re: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] The Glorantha "Digest"?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_OU_-728xtY7BFcXLinEsOQDUAELEqF-en62mdzOYw2lVvF-wjwJpR7XDsgrEM>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:05:35 +0000 (GMT)

> Jane, you bring this up every three months or so. :)

Every few times someone mis-uses the term, yes.

> Those who use
> the term see your point, but...

Oh, good.

> Nominatively, many would say that the Glorantha list
> is also known as
> the Glorantha Digest, whether you receive it in
> digest form or not.

It is often refered to as such, yes. And since it has been no more a "digest" than any other list for some considerable time, this is not a means of distinguishing it from other lists, and as such is a potential means of confusing newbies. Some of whom receive the HQ-RPG Ygroup in Digest form.

> Such is the influence of history and heritage (and
> all to the good, I say).

In what way is it good?

> "the Digest" is an
> oft-accepted abbreviation of the title by old hands.

I know it is - and it takes a determined effort to change, and this will not hurt any of us.

> And I'm not even one of them.

I'm not *that* old, but I do remember when it was the only list available. And only in digest form. But this is no longer the case, thank the gods and Graham. Life moves on, that's what comes of not being dead.

> The "Bolton Evening News" and "Bristol Evening Post"
> are somewhat disingenuous also,

A separate problem, and not one that concerns me. Papers around here don't seem to specify much in their titles, and what they do is accurate.

> I'm sure this has been 'explained' (well, our part
> of the argument put forth) before.

I've still never seen an explanation beyond "it's traditional innit", which would leave us all playing RQ2.

> There is a fairer argument here, which is not the
> one of accurate terminology, but of whether list
> newbies will get what we say.

Yes. Exactly.

In "find compromise" mode, I quite like your current subject for this message. Put the word "digest" in quotes. That makes it clear that it *isn't* really a digest, that this is merely a name which no longer has meaning attached. And it might keep those Solar cultists who can't cope with change happy.