Re: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Digest Number 489

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_4t6cpUGKlYOWesMgzhqjGfz9WhYXqDwX2y6hu2L1UzIeKAhO9T0M5LD02g0BmBgxWrWSg>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:47:25 -0800

> > Actually, yes. India was part of the Commonwealth, but not the
> Empire, by
> > 1979. Britain may have been itching to get back into wog-bashing
> in the NWF,
> > but by 1979 they didn't have the resources (including political
> along with
> > military) to do so.
>
> Um, well yes, that was rather my point, although the irony of my
> comment was sadly lost in the transition to words on a screen! But
> that's why I went on

Of course, we had the US in there in the role vacated by the British - and doing similar "Great Game" type stuff - giving money to the Afghans to buy their loyalty, "advisors", etc.

> Might we not feel a little uncomfortable if someone said 'hey, look
> at the Teutonic Knights, look at Bismarck, look at Hitler -- of
> _course_ the Germans still want to conquer Eastern Europe'? I would
> simply counsel against regarding history as such a clear and linear
> predictor of future policy. A factor, sure, but not always the
> deciding one -- especially when there is no evidence to support such
> a historicist line.

Well, the next time the "Germans" (whetever they might be at that time) attack eastwards, we can re-visit this ;-).

The past deeds of someone (or a country) *should* be taken into account when predicting future actions or looking for explanation of why they did something. Agreed that they aren't necessarily a hard and fast indicator, but it shows pre-disposition and goes towards determing the character of the defendant.

RR
C'est par mon ordre et pour le bien de l'Etat que le porteur du présent a fait ce qu'il a fait.
- Richelieu