Re: Seven questions that Greg won't answer

From: Rick Meints <rjmeints_at_rtZ6dHO4q3thk7gWBILcUhXvnTgKdsCrTmE_o0j04-UZD0ife80PJNoFAMvHbz3awb5>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:32:07 -0000

The steemed Boaty writes:

> 1. Why have you created one of the best settings in gaming and then
> pissed it away
> 2. Why do you dump on everybody that works with you
> 3. Why our you so bad at doing a job you have been doing for 30+ years
> 4. Why do you think people should keep giving you free money
> 5. Why do you keep disappearing every few years and dumping things on
> some else
> 6. Why do you keep wrting crap like Accessing Eternity when
> there is so little playable material available.
> 7. When our we going to get the Great Sartar Campaign

To which I reply:

  1. Greg has never pissed it away, although he has struggled to run it as a business. Making the business side work is now my honour and repsonsibility. I have the priviledge of sharing this honour with many wonderful and helpful comrades. Together we are focusing on creating, not pot shots and destruction.
  2. Greg doesn't dump on everybody. Case in point, he has never dumped on me, and has been very supportive and cooperative.
  3. Considering that Gloranthan gaming is still around after all these years, and most other systems don't even last a fraction of that, I think a remarkable job has been done by many people, not including Boaty of course.
  4. The GTA is closed and no longer accepts donations.
  5. Deciphering your poor grammar, I'll respond by saying that Greg has found the best solution for keeping him involved with Glorantha - which is as a writer.
  6. Moon Design is working with Greg to prioritze writing the Glorantha material fans want the most and soonest. He will get paid for writing what is requested, and he is looking forward to the steady income. What have you ever written?
  7. The Grand Argrath campaign is in the works. We have found what we believe is the best way to get the rest of the story arc published. That's all I'll say for now.

And a general repsonse to other remarks:

Glorantha now has the opportunity to be handled very differently than it ever has previously. Moon Design has a license to publish Heroquest and Glorantha with no approval process. Mongoose has a license to publish Runequest, but they do have an approval process with Greg for any Gloranthan material. Greg is now very happy with his role as a creative freelance writer.

As for MD being a "third-party", the title technically fits, but I don't find it particularly descriptive of the very solid, cooperative, supportive, and beneficial working relationship I have had with Greg for over a decade now. I have been publishing the Gloranthan Classics under license from Issaries since 1999, and have had a solid working relationship with Greg all that time. It's that depth of experience working with me that gave Greg the confidence to grant me the license. I'm sure that Greg has not liked everything I have done, and I'm sure I could say the same about Greg, but in the big scheme of things I don't see the point in dwelling on it. We've always worked through those problems and gotten to the other side. Communication, Cooperation and Compromise are just as applicable here as in most other things in life. For Boaty, I would probably add "Copy Editing" for his posts as well.

As for seeing actual output, I have kept rather quiet on that topic, mainly because it is so easy to promise too much and then deliver too little. All I'll say for now is that 2006 will be a banner year, and the floodgates will open soon.

I also don't think that Greg has ever been bored with Glorantha. Usually it is the loathing of something else, like business minutia or the illiterate nastiness of people like Boaty that have made him seek taking a break. Regardless of that, even while on said breaks he has kept writing about Glorantha.

Back to you, Boaty...

Rick