Re: Convention fundraisers

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_zRtDFTUgVSOIGELr9zTN_TjYdOB_A1r--9dqY3vbS89xv5gW79eZJNxrMIeMx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 14:41:11 -0000

Difference noted, and irrelevant. You're still missing the point, despite repeating it in your mail.

> Only fifteen copies ...

(irrelevant formatting detail snipped)

> "information" will be made available
> later this year

And that last bit is the relevant one. Later. The elite few get the info now, the unwashed masses have to wait.

So, while it's entirely reasonable to raise money for the con by whatever means works, even (or especially?) if the con organisers use it to buy themselves beer, it's unfair and immoral (according to some of our principles) to have the info available to Rich Buggers before Real People. So we need to buy up those 15 copies (drat! one would be hard enough!) and render the info therein inaccessible to all, including ourselves, until it's properly available to all. A time-locked vault would do it - burning (or, as Newt says, more interesting means of destruction) followed by buying a copy when available would probably be cheaper. Sadly, those of us with those priciples probably don't also have the cash to put this into practice.