Re: cheese

From: Alison Place <alison_place_at_CFCKprl6i85cChFKmPvtJShboyQ34t9VZLqjrjXKoCtnzi5smGDnIoDgC0tMHus>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 16:54:21 -0800 (PST)

Chris Lemens wrote:
> > I was thinking some plain old Jalapeno or
Habernero
> > Monterrey Jack, maybe shredded in with some Colby.

> > The texture matters as much as the flavor in a
> > burrito. That's what usually goes on a burrito.

Jane Williams:
> This is good to know, because that's what goes on
one in Old
> Orleans and similar places. Not that I've ever found
where to buy the
> Colby :(

     You're not missing much, Jane. Colby is just a cheddar that will never grow up. To quote from Wikipedia: "Colby is similar to cheddar, as both cheeses undergo the cheddaring process. Colby is a softer, moister, and milder cheese than cheddar because it is produced through a washed-curd process. Colby is considered semi-hard. The washed-curd process means that during the cooking time, the whey is replaced by water; this reduces the curd's acidity, resulting in Colby's characteristically mild, gentle flavor. Colby should not be aged. Colby dries out quickly, so it is best used shortly after purchasing."

     Any fan of tasty, older cheddars will rightly substitute the words bland and insipid for "mild" and "gentle".

Alison

Don't get soaked. Take a quick peak at the forecast with the Yahoo! Search weather shortcut. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/#loc_weather