Re: Bull-Turtle's-Head.

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_vYDoACkgBgpB3SU5CC9_ABmeEAzOjpEt_kxN-xnPX9DNwvqIVPfEg_M5sdVAN1Kp_bf2>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 19:19:17 -0000

> >it was actually sandstone painted
> > white prior to the War of 1812).
>
> You know, it still strikes me as odd the way you're
> using that phrase: to me, what happened in 1812 was
> Napoleon invading Russia. (There'a a rather good
> Overture been written about it). I hadn't realised
> there was anything much going on in America at the
> time.

The French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars were more an issue of domestic politics in the US. Washington, Hamilton and the Federalists supported alliance with Great Britain (for trade reasons), Jefferson, Madison, and the Democratic-Republicans supported alliance with France and war with Great Britain (both for ideological reasons).

> > One of the few casualties of the
> > Burning of Washington was the destruction of the
> > Library of Congress,
> > including many priceless historical documents.
> Considering which list we're on....
> <standard anti-Yank insult> Oh, they had historical
> documents? Was the ink dry?</standard anti-Yank
> insult>

I'd say some of the papers associated with the ratification of the US Constitution and of the early acts of the US Government were pretty historical. It is worth keeping in mind that even in Great Britain, the United States was seen as a radical experiment - and considered a far more successful experience in self-government than the French Republic (and later Empire).

Jeff