Re: Digest Number 596

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_4DStJyz5a58KwiLeo4JSpIVL6Gpl3gYEFyn_Zj4-W0AG4M-5ABRrSvZJsxD_O6tuRfpj8>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 09:01:41 -0800

> History - oh yes, they were also the last people to
> successfully invade England. Sailed up the Thames and
> attacked London.

No dear, they did *not* invade, they attacked shipping on the Thames and Medway. No-one got off the ships to attack land installations (though there was fear that they would). The Luftwaffe in *The* War ('40-'45) were the last successful formal military attacks on England. (The terrorist group of the week (are they still Irish? or Arab? of something else?) are the latest *in*formal attackers.)

The Dutch also didn't get as far a London, though they did get embarrassingly close.

Sheesh, you need an *American* to tell you your own history?

And I'm voting for Patagonia, Outer Mongolia, or Antartica.

RR