Re: The Truth About Tom Cruise 9Was Dark Duck Secrets)

From: David Cake <dave_at_KwDz6vqpOuFSXgdVoX0Jt23ejj6GKZ9qw_eQp0BkSiiERrUofxFwQcOsQnvq0mQUCqjniGF>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 00:48:16 +0900

At 5:25 AM +0000 11/2/07, Jeff Richard wrote:
>wrote:

>store of
>> >
>> >Tiny? Texas is the size of France. Montana is bigger than Germany.
>> >New South Wales is about a quarter bigger than Texas.
>>
>> Exactly. And New South Wales isn't even one of the big states. Tiny.
>

>Hardly. Now I know you are talking from the perspective of a Western
>Australian, which admittedly is a lot of territory. Heck, Western
>Australia is larger than Alaska and is the second largest subnational
>entity in the world. And it consists of you, some sand, a few dingoes
>and a lot of holes in the dirt.

        We also have kangaroos. And my wife also lives here.

        We do keep a lot of the sand next to the water though, to create rather nice beaches.

        We have some individual stations (ranches, to you Americans) that are larger than England.

        And yep, holes in the dirt. Dig stuff up and sell it foreigners, that's what we do here.

At 10:47 AM +0000 11/2/07, Jane Williams wrote:
>I was just wondering, for Australia, Texas, and come
>to think of it Canada: yes, lots of land area. But how
>much of it is, by reasonable human standards,
>habitable? The descriptions I've heard of Texas
>suggest that "none" is a pretty close approximation,
>Western Australia sounds similiar (no water,
>temperates high enough to kill), and Canada in winter
>seems to be buried under about ten feet of snow.

        Well, admittedly its a bit harsh if you are soft/English. Some people find the deserts with 50 degrees C temperatures and no rainfall a bit intimidating. And, of course, no water, which is why we have to drink beer. And its pretty common for people in the emptier parts of the state to drive for, say, 400km to visit their neighbours. There is a particularly famous bit of the road across the nullarbor plain where the road doesn't actually bend in any way for more than 140km.

        Actually, the south-west corner of the state is really rather nice - forests, wineries, rolling green hills, etc.

        And the top bits of the state are tropical, which means it only has no water for half the year. The other half, it has too much water. Thats one of the fun things about living in a state that big - the climate varies drastically across it.

	Cheers
		David