AW: The Truth about Texas

From: Goihl & Fahey <goihlk_at_N2YXMR37H39RPuPBF1EQv-I2iX-D1e8d8L6xZ86PBB7EBDpqo49VVWvP1pEACHMOhECv4>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:42:17 +0100

>. Texas, you start off knee-deep in the 50 mile swamp

Can you bring some to Tentacles?

>that helps keep Yankees out.

Bring even more of it then!

>.but watch out for the alligators.

If you don't pay attention you might miss seeing the cute little guys, and they'd be sad to miss a nice petting.

>Moving further west, this quickly turns into the Piney Woods

Remembering the Michelle Shocked song with the Piney Woods in East Texas.

>.is cattle country. Avoid driving through Amarillo when the wind blows from
the stockyards.

Fine with me. That's one of the smells we used to enjoy on our way outside LA toward our mountain.

>. you come across Marfa, the second weirdest town in Texas. With a
permanent population of only a few hundred, they have a world-class art museum here, more tourists than residents, and the strange phenomenon known as the Marfa lights.

Can you write that into a live game for the con?

>Yes, mountains in Texas. They rarely have snow on them, and you can't ever
ski them.

Really! The mountains just outside LA often have snow on them. You can see it from any vantage point. I've found little patches in September way up top on the bigger mountain just a bit further on, over Palm Springs.

>Finally, we reach El Paso. Did you know that El Paso is half-way from
Austin to Los Angeles?

And still got part of New Mexico, all of Arizona, and the width of California to go thru, nearly all desert.

>South of here, be prepared to speak Spanish exclusively, even tough you are
still supposedly in Texas.

What, there's some of Texas where something but Spanish is spoken? Oh, you did mention a German area.

Well, we'll have to fire up the bug and drive out there sometime.

Daniel