Re: The Truth about Texas

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_-03C56Z7cwKdmjBFNST64SA95mCFoHOyahIncDKyzo5PT6285PadyQIUo-HL->
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 00:11:41 +0000 (GMT)

> how
> > much of it is, by reasonable human standards,
> > habitable? The descriptions I've heard of Texas
> > suggest that "none" is a pretty close
> approximation,
>
> Going from east to west in Texas,...

But all of this sounds lovely! Why does publicity for the place only go on about the bad bits?

> Tyler, home of the Tyler rose, is at the northern
> end of this area.

Would that be the Yellow Rose of the song?

> To the south is the part of Texas you see in TV.
> The land scrubland, rising and
> falling about once a mile, but gently rising as you
> go west. Hot and dry.
> Goats, tough cattle, jack rabbits, snakes, mule
> deer.

Yes, that's what we get told about. Rather like Prax. You only go there if you've been driven out of anywhere anyone in their right mind would actually choose to live.

> This area is really desolate. Think Vulture's
> Country. Most hills are bald rock. Big Bend State
> Park is in the
> mountains. It is visually stunning, kind of like a
> graveyard is. It gets cold here at night.

And more of the same, if more photogenic.

> Finally, we reach El Paso. Did you know that El
> Paso is half-way from Austin to Los Angeles?

Since I have no idea where either of those two places are (in America, at a guess?), no, I didn't know that.

> So, there it is. Did I mention that it is
> pleasantly warm most of the year?

No. You've mentioned a few temperatures, I think, all of which translated as "unbearably hot" to me.

What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Yahoo! Mail Championship. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk