Bacharach

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_GjJH8Fof8H_g_-yCYUEI29ZWzyBu2joQRopS5OQvcVChJAEOekJxWu8TfZcj7>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 16:36:41 -0000

I was just browsing through the papers of Michael Richards (1673- 1722), as you do, when I came across the following manuscript note, dated Saturday 8 August 1705 (N.S.). Captain Richards, having aided in the passage of the Lines of Brabant in mid-July, had been dispatched hither and thither as a message boy, bearing dispatches for the various courts of Europe. On his way back to the army, he enjoyed a somewhat leisurely trip back along the Rhine, and indulged in a bit of a manuscript travelogue.

After scrawling quick notes on his early trip from Frankfurt to the Rhine &c., he wrote:

"On the Lt. almost opposite [Loorickhausen, i.e. Lorchhausen] is Bacharach famous for its Rhenish Wine. All these Towns have remains of Walls, but all have Sufferd by the K. of France."

The bastards. Should charge 'em more.

[N.B. of course, he didn't see or describe Castle Stahleck, it having been destroyed in the Devastation by...]

Stu.