Re: Re: In Defence Of A Goddess

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_Ztiio8aUSd3puCAWJ-O4EKhDvGem7K9fpvhlCGOU0q3d0rUW0pfei8U1z27onA_33k4>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 09:45:12 +1000 (EST)

On Sun, 6 May 2007, Jeff Richard wrote:

>> I still think Vinga's an overranked goddess, with too much
> attentionpaid to her because of who her #1 follower in modern
> Glorantha is.
>
> I agree - except I donīt think much attention is paid to her because
> of any Third Age Gloranthan characters. There has long been a
> tendency to make Vinga a more important goddess than she is - mainly
> because a lot of people like the idea of red-haired warrior chicks.
> Although some of Vingaīs biggest supporters are women, some of the
> biggest critics of Vinga as described in fan material are women as
> well (frex, it was Pam Carlson who first called Vinga a bad Red Sonja
> ripoff - she pointedly never played a Vinga. Heck, all the Vingan
> player characters Iīve see were played by male players... which says
> something interesting I think).
>
> Personally, I think Ernalda is a much more interesting and complex
> goddess. I also think that Thunder Rebels did Ernalda a disservice in
> making most of the suggested Feats in the subcults relatively
> uninteresting. Ernalda, not Vinga, should be the goddess of Orlanthi
> feminism - if women can do it, Ernalda can do it.
>
> IMV, Vinga is fine as one of several martial goddesses worshiped by
> the Orlanthi. Her main claim to fame is that she allows women to
> participate in the men's cult - Orlanth. Otherwise, she just isn't
> that terribly important a cultic figure.

So is the deep mythic change to Vinga making her a lesbian going tobe accompanied by a re-writing of the Ernalda affinities?

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at_2f7t1-4tEWR8B9Rend4jSmLERrHuh1lnioNp2mw5LE4bVYwRliT2OrlHmjZ2zqvuk7Hw30O2UYJx7WeFp5x3EpU.yahoo.invalid