Re: Is it really all about pointed sticks?

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_CemQcpNneWoNlW3tdjCxJR8sYEiMQ6qbkMd4_BAgnfcqNKiaUqdpylSUAekq4Y08kCJ>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 12:22:06 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 8 May 2007, Mark Galeotti wrote:

> Comrades!
>
> The debate on Vinga/Ernalda very often seems to come down to a notion
> that the latter is boring for PCs.

I beg to differ. While the feats for Ernalda are questionable in their usefullness, the concept of an Ernaldan PC is, in my opinion not. Certainly of less usefulness in some "go cattle raiding and bash some lunars" contents. But, as, for example, a Sartar campaign proceeds, and the politing amongst the potential Argrath's emerges, an Ernaldan would certainly have the potential to come into their own.

So, to me at least, it is not about Vinga - good, Ernalda - bad.

It's about options. For male characters we have a range of options, both combat and non-combat. The non-combat options for mfemales are there. But the combat options are more limited - and with the changes being suggested to Vinga your female PC options are "wierdo", "psycho" or "non-combat". Which is less than is presented for males. And that's the problem.

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at_O5k9o0jTGKhyCCaJlIuVeoNkeDvj3gaibUQnThy9Ph68jD5LJEmSzf4W1uMoLoCSkK1X-AAigXKs5_-zzeU.yahoo.invalid