Vedr. Re: In Defence Of A Goddess - A

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_qkoOc9MBPc5s4xJdtBsxBXag9q_QuO0_aX-pPCd5LY3ZlH2HfvI_oWcW9-7yUbpV6OFN>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 07:23:36 -0000

> > Bah! I don't think you can compare importance directly it this way.
> I think Pam was in fewer than 10% of the sessions and David may have
> missed three session in the entire campaign.
>
> I was trying to avoid dragging the player into the discussion, since
> she's probably not here to defend herself. I'm not sure if her low
> attendance at sessions was the cause of her PC's low profile, or the
> other way around. From talking to her a bit about this, I would say
> a little of both.

>From talking to Pam a lot, I know that the reasons have very little to
do with her character. Mostly it was her commute and her dislike of the Heroquest system.

However, Pam's Ernaldan was central to the Taming of Dragon Pass Campaign and is where we discovered a tremendous amount of insight into Orlanthi culture.

> > I do agree that the main story arcs are very male-oriented
> and better suited for everyone being an Orlanth initiate
>
> Yup. Which is, I suspect, why people object to handicapping Vinga in a
> rewrite -- it makes a Vingan less fun to play, which in turn makes it
> harder to find a slot for a female PC in a Sartar game, or any
> similarly Orlanth-centric game material.

Vinga - as a game construct - exists to allow female PCs to be Orlanth worshipers. As such, we aren't proposing to put handicaps on the cult in play. Vinga - as a Gloranthan construct - exists to allow women to participate in Orlanthi male secret rites. As such, when we discuss the deep mythology of Vinga or her cult is discussed in creative literature (like Greg's fiction), there are likely to be restrictions that are not mentioned in the game rules.

Want to understand a Vingan NPC? Then the deep background becomes relevant. Want your Vingan PC to do whatever she wants? Then only throw these restrictions at her to the extent it develops your storyline.

Jeff