Re: Poor dim little me

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_qJOKbLTMVjMvZHRZuZ9duosSBJosEWczml60I5SritbdazX7VmjvVUsGlW9No>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 19:39:19 -0000

Well, the thing is on WoG Greg said that most Vingans are lesbian, and I think it was broadly hinted at actually being a cult stricture. Howls of indignant rage were heard across the Gloranthan culture. Most of us I feel confident saying do not hold a negative view lesbians per se. Many of us feel miffed that it is suggested that it is infact almost a cult geas. Thats not a position (so far) with cults like Heler or Nandan. In fact I love the points that David Cake has made in this debate.

Jeff (a lovely chap who I have met and hope would not be adverse to sharing a beer or three at a con sometime) fanned the flames with some intensely unpopular views of the loyal daughter. And further, it seems that his position is 'well, Greg me and Mark think it, and ultimately we are the arbiters of canon.' Further disturbing revelations flowed from Jeff about the wholesale deletion and rewrite  of Leika (a one time player character) to fit into the mold of the fiction they would like to create about her. One of the things I always enjoyed about Glorantha was that some of the historical events were gamed out, and charmingly often with Greg as GM.

The depth opf bitterness springs I suspect from the seeming disregard, at least from Jeff, to the feelings of the Gloranthan community at large on what many of us consider to be a key issue.

Jeff has largely dismissed John Hughes vent as well, which I find geenrally disturbing. I love it that Jeff is writing for Glorantha. I dislike some of the direction some of this has taken.

Stew makes a scary point about some brilliant writers who will no longer work on Glorantha.

YGWV is great for encouraging GM's to not be bound by the meta plot of Glorantha or for developing ideas about under developed areas or cultures of Glorantha. Its quite another to declare 'we'll write what we like, change what we like and the devil take the hindmost!'

As a fervent pro Sartar agitator for many years I feel personally about what some propose for my beloved country.

Greg tapped into something fundental in the human psyche with Dragon Pass, Argrath and the Red Moon. A story of the ages. And for years it was a fun place to spend time. But the incessant revision and constant revision is moving toward a place I no longer recognise as the place that I love. Thats sad.

Maybe Vinga presents a watershed for me. A line in the sand. Maybe its time that GAG can go boil its head and I'll turn up to cons and meals and chat and game with Jane and John and David and a whole host aof like minded people about a Vinga and a Sartar that the current executive seem intent on strangling. When the Vingan Lesbian Superhero and the Ernaldan capo scenario's are published you will have some buyers, but I wont be one of them. Maybe when you publish that scenario book about Barbtar adventure, going to market, ploughing adventures you will have some buyers. But how many I wonder?

As the custodian of the publishing of Glorantha you can assuage some of the fears of the community (and a paddle at Belgo's for Minty would be on me if so) and save us from a non official Glorantha movement. I hope so.

Rob