Vedr. Re: In Defence Of A Goddess - A

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_9F-1pjU7IXL34jPw8b91Lf-zd9j-p2joVeM57bJPWQxwDEtrn-SGSaHnxIGGohelBZW4>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 13:21:49 -0000

> Hang on, I'm confused. I thought only men could worship Orlanth, with
> Vingans as the exception that lets women have access to his magic.
Why would
> Orlanth Rex be different? Women have Orendana the Queen to follow, after
> all.

That's a tribal formation thing. Tribal leaders either have Orlanth or Ernalda as their patron. For example, the Hendrikings were always Orlanth Dar kings, even when the actual king was an Ernaldan. Same thing about the Colymar - they are always Orlanth Rex.

Same thing for the Orendanae - an Esrolian tribe is ruled through Orendana. If a man gets acclaimed ruler of that tribe, it is a new tribe (and the Grandmothers Council will make sure it is crushed).

Anybody can become an Orlanth Dar or Rex initiate if they are acclaimed the ruler of their clan or tribe and they make the sacrifices and such to Orlanth the King. Humakti, Ernaldans, Uroxings, Issaries, whoever.

Besides, Vinga is not a Queen. If I was revising things, I'd go back to having Orlanth be Warrior, Farmer, King and Thunderer and have Vinga access all the Warrior subcults. That would also minimize the Allfather problem, which is the substantive issue that triggers this debate (although this debate is hardly about that anymore).

Jeff