Mouth Opened

From: Goihl & Fahey <goihlk_at_VNXKAoQcCrkFEFLXDZ7lWqCJ01yfaKjcEBWwI4SF4Bf9LU6kdsOh1QU_SHyXw9GtEOAkH>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 12:25:34 +0200

>.Hero Wars Glorantha that have generally pissed me off .

Well, I'm not pissed off, but yes, there have been all sorts of useless changes which have really put many people off. Many long-time players here, including a GTA member or two, just don't care about Glorantha anymore because of new writeups of cults which ignore and cancel what we've known for many years. It's like you have two versions of Glorantha which contradict each other in many points. Myself, I simply ignore anyone's new version except where it may be fit to the old or where it can add new depth. And that Greg has a new idea from time to time is nothing new, so I use or it or not. He'll change it back again anyway.

>Orlanth is only for men. With the exception of Vinga.

Yeah, but just remember that such words as "only" mean "most". There are still some women who worship Orlanth or some version or subcult. Different areas have different subcults and customs and these all change over time so there are many possibilities. Some women may be considered to be men, with or without formal ritual change. In most communities some things are normal that in others are considered to be wrong. There are many people who call themselves Christians but who propagate hatred, the opposite of what's in their teachings. Many men in various lands have sex with other men but have never stopped to consider that as homosexual activity, which they consider awful. Anyway, so some women worship various Orlanths, or Orlanthinas, and their communities find it normal, whereas in the next community they'd see that as wrong. And, where there is the exception "Vinga" there are also many other such exceptions in other places.

>Humakti are severed from their kin.

That's been around for years and makes sense. It's actually in Humakt info since the eighties I think. It's not new with HW/Q

>Uroxi are basically outsiders, no longer just barely tolerated kinfolk.

When were they tolerated? The first writeup clearly describes them as belonging to separate groups which do not participate in the community they were born in.

>The entrenching of rigid gender roles for orlanthi

Not only Orlanth. Prax has suffered this too. But you don't have to take it seriously. Only men can handle weapons in Praxian society, but tell that to the tough woman who comes along on the raid to avenge her husband, or even leads it.

>The change of the lunar empire to resemble the Persian empire rather
than the roman one (which Brits more associate with)

In the old days these associations with RW stuff were very light. Now, the rome thing I never understood. Nearly nothing in old Gloranthan stuff looked roman. I can only assume that many people with very little knowledge of history associate things with rome or the middle ages because those are the only things they even vaguely remember from school or the couple of films they've seen. Nearly everything about the Lunar Empire has various "Eastern", and more precisely "Persian" parallels a hundred times more than it has any similarities with rome. Heck, the Lunars have more parallels with the Empirial British than with rome.

Anyway, there was no change here in the Glorantha material itself. That some people somehow saw rome in the Lunars is only their own perception.

What gets me and puts me off Sartar is the new strong parallel with some sort of Viking/Celt(tm) thing. It used the be not so fixed. Now everyone's got "son" at the end of their name and wears woad and a kilt. It didn't used to be so rigidly limited.

Daniel, the Liver of the Bull