Urox vs. Storm Bull

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_8BkKbmXRZWlgX2vMoINgzwcqcCXlmRTbIk2Jf85Loy6Pr-4_WLCBrxdg1f67PDkQ>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 15:46:59 -0700 (PDT)

Jeff, out of that long string of emails between him and David:
>>>There probably are no Urox women. Or if they are they are very few.
>>>Urox is a Bull. Based on Harmastsaga, Urox is s a very phallic god,
>>>like Lodril. Storm Bull may well be different.

I don't know about Urox, but I say there are a good number of Bullwomen in Prax. They are highly unusual, but everyone accepts that someone touched by the Bull is unusual. Socially, they can be Storm Khans, and Storm Khans sometimes lead herds (read "clans"), so they are socially male. But that says nothing about their sexuality or gender. I think Storm Bull's penis was one of the parts the Devil tore off (so, perhaps he's not as phallic in Prax). I think temporarily ruled part of the Wastes after the Devil died, by virtue of its fertility, but it did not give the survival or fighting magic needed, so its followers either died or were subsumed by Waha's followers.

Generally speaking, I think only the practices of Waha and Eiritha (and their helper practices, like the Founders and Protectresses) are single-gender. I suppose that Helpwoman is really single-gender, though I never really thought about it; her magic is pretty useful, so maybe some men join it, especially in small clans where everyone has to be a generalist. I doubt that Foundchild is theologically single-gender, though (like Storm Bull) the vast majority of his followers would normally be male. I don't think the other practices are really gender-oriented at all (though, no doubt, a really great example of one has slipped my mind and Peter will correct me). Daka Fal and Horned Man are gender neutral. The other spirits of Prax have no real need to be single gender, since they don't generally assign social roles. The sacred socieities are probably a mix; the Axe Sisters are all female, for example, but the Serpent Dancers are mixed gender.

Bull bollocks to you.
Chris