Re: Orlanth is a Toilet

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_75KnrRohmbSAn0HclOuNzjIEXZ7z7vxS99PaM8wlQunOQORBsLGENdMbCVKynref5WbRev48>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 12:09:59 -0000

> The whole 'Vinga forbids her worshippers to follow her own
> myth' thing seems to me to more odd the more I think about it. Even
> if you grant the myth (which is granting a lot) it makes no sense.
> Sure, if you grant the myth Vinga made a mistake. Does Orlanth
> forbid his worshippers to kill Yelmites, because that turned out to
> be a big mistake?

Indeed. The whole Orlanthi mindset is that it is perfectly acceptable to make mistakes, providing you admit responsibility and make reparations. So if yo do accept that there is a myth in which the Storm Tribe suffer defeat because Vinga is pregnant then rather than using this as a basis to forbid Vingan pregnancy, I would say that this myth would reveal that the Orlanthi recognise that it is possible that a Vingan warrior might become pregnant, and realise that the consequences of her doing so may affect the whole community, but that there are (mythic) precedences, and thus a way that she can redeem herself (given that, in areas where Orlanth is worshipped, the Storm Tribe are "top dogs" (...erm alynxes...) and anywhere where the myth is known and Vinga is woshipped, she obviously redeemed herself or she would not be a Thunder Brother but would be outlawed from the Storm Tribe