Re: Magical contraception

From: sacerdoteuk <steve_at_ajHWhlU1ukzYAWZjrSQC3O03T6YhZwb1OangemOtNoKHKdhfIEspNbi73VcLcErZJV7KQs>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 10:21:49 -0000

I used to argue this one a lot with Jon Quaife, and indeed Greg (in the dim distant past). It seems to me to come down to the same argument as used on Christians in the real world on the topic of why god hates amputees (http://www.whydoesgodhateamputees.com/).

You can say that fanaticism or crop growing magic isn't noticeably different to just psyching yourself up, or watering your crops regularly. However, regrowing limbs, summoning lightning from the skies or flying most definitely are different. By any normal definition they are magic. Magic of the sort that doesn't happen here.

The argument seems to be that Gloranthans have magic, but they also have monsters and suchlike, which roughly balances out, so that people are much the same as they are on earth. This strikes me as a pretty meaningless statement, as there is no real axis of comparison for 'sameness'. That they live in cultures which are comparable to Terran cultures is one thing, except that Terran cultures would never be as static as Gloranthan ones. Nor as traditional, nor as Diverse, etc.

In an overall scheme, its about as useful as saying that everything is the same as everything else. Which is tautologically true but meaningless and lazy. And no fun.

So fuck 'em. In my Glorantha fireblades flame, limbs regrow, the gods are always peering over your shoulder, and the races of the lozenge are only as similar to us as my feeble imagination forces them to be.

And you're all a bunch of cunts.

Cheers

Steve