Re: Re: Magical contraception

From: Pete Darby <pete.darby_at_3kNmJdmmZolZOOEMsEMCffD1pkKKCn3T-0RfMpwcFJYKc64Iqf7Z2-P5lWOGrZ6YE>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 13:39:35 +0100

My 2 clacks:

Glorantha is made of myth. Everything happens because of myth, because of the relationship of people with what happened in the time before time.

Planting seeds makes plants grow because that's what happened in the pre-time ages. Not because they're little packages of DNA & nutrients. the planting is part of the mythic ritual. What we'd recognise as "ritual" is just a part of it, a strengthening of the identification of the planter with the mythic planter way back when.

Back in the pre-time, there were also frickin' amazing things some gods were doing (replace as necessary for sorcerers & animists), and by increasing your identity with those mythic beings, you can do frickin' amazing things.

Furthermore, to Gloranthans, fireblades, regrown limbs, etc, are as commonplace as a really good crop.

And now, contraception: conception is one of the more powerful mythical forces. Magically, "human" bodies want to make babies. Sex is a magical act, representing any number of mythic acts (because Gods Shag A Lot). I'm guessing the number, or at least strength, of myths in which sex=>babies overwhelms those in which sex =/=> babies, so unless you take steps to act according to the no-baby myths, you are more likely to make a baby.

All this argument that "magic makes it easier" ignores "magic makes it harder": the mythic residue of the Green age is working through the residue of the great darkness, fungus growing on corn is as "alive" and connected to the mythic as the corn (excluding farmers influence, trollish influence, etc).

Then again, I'm the kind of weirdo that would have a Vingan and a Nandan screw just to get the Nandan pregnant.