Gods of the Hero Wars Update #2

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_-A0UwJlLiqcw570lPsZ5aUvVuLOCHfIZ7Rq0pb85lXPQr8gXo81hDgQhOQiUSvhKFDf>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 00:05:36 +1200

THE LOGICAL ARTS In looking over the Malkioni magics for HeroQuest, I was struck by how there's no magic for castes which is a major part of Malkionism. So flicking through Arcane Lore, I came up with standardized spells that would be widely known under an occupation specific set known as Arts.

For example, the art of the legionary will contain spells about fighting in the manner of sword and shield as well as fighting in a legion.

Horal - the Fighting Arts

	Darkness:  Assassin, Berserker
	Sea:  Marine
	Earth:  Pike, Scout, Sapper
	Fire:  Equestrian, Crossbower
	Storm:   Legionary, Duelist

Since the arts are elementally based, the Elemental Progression (MoLaD p53) could be used for conflicts between arts. I've not used Knight for mounted combat because I didn't want to cause confusion between the caste of knights and the specific fighting style of fighting from horseback.

Dronar - the Providing Arts

	Darkness - Scavenging
	Sea - Fishing
	Earth - Farming
	Fire - Hunting
	Storm - Herding

Talar - the Governing Arts

	Darkness - Despotism
	Sea - Persuasion
	Earth - Consensus
	Fire - Absolutism
	Storm - Debate

Wot's the difference between Absolutism and Despotism, I hear you ask? Well, Absolute Rulers make their decisions in an enlightened fashion while Despots rule through force and fear. Other than that, the difference is (intentionally) minor.

There's three other sets of arts (Menena, Malkion and Zzabur). Menena's arts are the traditional arts of womankind but I've only figured out that the Crone or Witch is the Darkness Art. Malkion and Zzabur's arts will probably impact on sorcery.

VITHELAN PANTHEON - TRYING TO MAKE SENSE Looking at Revealed Mythologies, the Gods of Vithela are described as being sacrificed to or worshipped. At the same time, we are told that sacrifice is one of the low arts (akin to sorcery and shamanism) that is opposed to the high worship of the Vithelan Pantheon.

So it occurs to me. In the context of the Vithelan Pantheon, the words sacrifice and worship are not being used in the theistic sense. Worship is really a long-term state of mind that is brought about through virtue while Sacrifice is an intense state of mind with long term costs.

I'm using "state of mind" to avoid mystical powers. Currently I'm thinking that a worshipper can use his virtues as augments while a sacrifice is the equivalent of releasing a spirit from a fetish. Not sure on the long-term costs as yet but acting contrary to the virtues will be detrimental to one's connection to the Gods.

The Gods (Parloth) can be worshipped through the Sheredpara and in this low state they provide spells, affinities or spirits. The High Gods (Avanparloth) cannot be so worshipped while the Anti-gods are always worshipped to give material magic.

Still undecided about Sages and Martial Arts or the difference between Venform and Darja Danad. Or dream magic for that matter...

--Peter Metcalfe