Re: The drake, destroyer of his own kind

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_RaCvRxyjQVNiaS_fc_Kf9T3SdiXW7cAopVE1jjy5XV3fGCRBq2tTzkj_lHYd0>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 19:47:38 -0000

Julian:
> I've been reading the (excellent) Riverside edition of Chaucer, and
> came across this interesting line in the "Parliament of Fowls", which
> is part of a long list of birds and their epithets.

Last summer, in Simon's Griffin Mountain freeform, I played Waddle Greenbeak. Of course, I did my research beforehand, and was particularly interested in references to ducks in English literature. For some reason this was translated into tattoos, Compton stylee: on the inside of my forearm was "Stroyere of his owene kynde."

I can't find that one, but the Drake4Deth one is here:

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/phidition/Drake4Deth.gif

For me, Chaucer is as seminal (and we are talking steaming piles of duck wank here, after all) as Howard, Donald, Daffy, RQA, &c.

I also spent time translating Shakespeare (Wilm Drakespeare, naturally) into duckspeak. Particularly such famous and obvious speeches as those of Henry V before Harfleur (Act 3 Scene 1) and the Crispin Crispian guff (Act 4 Scene 3), though a variety of other stuff besides. In games, though, these things tend to slip your mind.

For some reason, I had an inclination to translate all of Titus Andronicus into Lunars, Sartarites and Ducks in Dragon Pass. No idea why. Sadly I've no idea where the notes are.

Stu.