Re: Leika

From: julianlord <julian.lord_at_xG56WMd9gBAOAu00cCOOKW76nW5AZpDx2sDkgQnlyavM-MRWIbZJJ-GQqb4TL1so>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:47:05 -0000

David Cake :

> Actually, for me the Leika part of the debate is simply
> largely about Jeffs arrogant feeling that pissing on old
established
> facts about Glorantha to promote some of his relatively minor
> insights* and suit his own prejudices is in any way responsible.

hmmmmm...

> * I don't wish to imply that all Jeffs insights are minor. But this
> Redalda stuff certainly is.

You know, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

The Redalda link exists, obscurely, in both the canon and the unpublished stuff IIRC ; but it should be quite clear, upon discovery, that this is secondary to Leika's core nature as a character and as a Hero.

I have noticed a consistent trend in the MRQ Glorantha material to present secondary, minor aspects in a prominent manner, instead of presenting the core of the information.

This is not necessarily a bad thing in all cases, as it provides us grognards with info that's actually new, not just another rehash --- although I must admit that I was personally both amused and ... let's say surprised that Heler in Magic of Glorantha is basically presented as a weaponsmith LOL

I was amused, as this actually _is_ the sort of shapechange Heler is expert at, amused at the cleverness whereby a god of water gains access to metal forging powers, amused by the fact that it's been a very long time since I last learned anything new about Heler ; but "surprised" too, that all this amusing but quite frankly marginal novelty is presented as Heler's major abilities --- particularly as I remember being specifically instructed at the time to deliberately avoid any mention whatsoever of the Arming of Orlanth in my own writeup...

Perhaps though this trend to present secondary, minor aspects in a prominent manner might represent a 2nd Age defense mechanism of the cosmos against the GLs, so that their HeroQuesting leads them towards the marginalia of the mythic worlds they are plundering, instead of straight into the core of the mythologies ???

The differences in the modes of presentation of the material are nevertheless fascinating to witness, and I for one find the 2nd Age POV to be a refreshing one.

Oh and BTW, my view on the new Heler stuff is a pretty favourable one, I don't want anyone out there who may have contributed to it taking this as a personal attack (although I'm sure there are many reasons why they should also go fuck themselves).