Re: Re: King = Initiate

From: David Scott <sciencefish_at_JbQ2eCvYPVZTWsEmWGj5bi4UUbuSk8R4Nhr0lfPQbNzzh1VgV4tqDuJH6G0nIsq3>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 13:13:13 +0100

On 20 Jun 2007, at 12:34, Simon Phipp wrote:

>> it's odd that the rules lawyers never seem to quote YGWV or MGF.
>
> What's the point? Whenever you run a scenario, your Glorantha/Game
> has varied.

Up until it was stated in HQ many people tried to stick to the one true way of the Greg and many still do. It's very hard to get over the idea of collaborative story telling in a role-playing game to those that believe that what ever has been written down before is "gospel". There are many by the book gamers that have no imagination, but really enjoy RPGs. If told they can change stuff and it's cool to do so then it might at least prod them along a new path.

> I've never understood MGF in the first place. Why would you be
> playing if it wasn't fun?

You must have been very lucky in your role-playing experiences. I've come across many people who come to RPGs and don't appear to be having fun. I've even had a knife pulled on me by a player (real life knife) who wasn't having fun (please note that everyone else was). Some individuals fall into gaming for other reasons than fun, for some it's their only social outlet (really). For others they don't always know why they are there and fun doesn't enter into it, but they belong. Some are obsessed with RPGs as their real world is problematic (such as long term health problems) and it gives them an outlet. Introducing the written rule of MGF to these kind of groups is fantastic. It allows players to experience something new even if it is silly and it's "official rules".

On a side note, one of the first rules of our 19 year old gaming club is "The enjoy yourself rule", If your not enjoying yourself at the club, ask yourself why. We have asked people to take time out of the group so they can get over what ever it is that is affecting them and come back when in a better space.

> If you don't like crunchy rules you wouldn't be playing RQ. If you
> didn't like fast flowing rules, you
> wouldn't be playing HQ. People play the games they enjoy and tend to
> have fun.

Only if your ref runs the kind of game system you like. Many players play the game even if they don't really like the rules. I played in a Conan campaign that used the Riddle of Steel rules. Great game, but the rules sucked. There was even a game that had players using a calculator to calculated damage (never again).

People play the games available in their circle. They tend to enjoy the game even if the rules suck. Some people can have a lot of fun, but others might not.

> And let's have hippies wandering around saying they don't need rules
> and let's just experience the game and other such rubbish.

Easy there, chill out a bit. Get yourself some sandals, hippy fascism is cool.

David