Re: The Man who would be an initiate.

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_bMgIurXUyWHgdrhqWuqxl6_MAPW36TQY2jIRf3w4gndCM7mqrAI_mOGjazfe01qOngaW>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 06:12:06 -0000

> > I'm seeing two mutually contradictory propositions getting violent
> > agreement in the forums:
> >
> > 1. "Rules don't matter"
> >
> > and
> >
> > 2. "HQ models Glorantha better than RQ".
> >
> > Pick one.

Pick both. Rules aren't that important - except for giving a preagreed system for determining the outcome of certain actions ("I try to kill the troll with my sword"). They certainly shouldn't be used as the primary source in understanding aspects of a fictional place.

That being said, a rules system can be actively bad at modeling important aspects of the game world. The RQ magic rules are actively bad and really don't model anything in Greg's stories. So to that extent HQ models Glorantha better than RQ.

Jeff